18 December 2010

A world like no other

For our company’s Japan-themed Christmas party, I thought I should borrow ideas from Japanese cinema.  Then I realized I didn’t know much about it.  My knowledge had been limited to the master Kurosawa, animation genius Miyazaki, and a few of action director Kitano’s, and Oshima’s.  Plus the scariest movie since The Exorcist -- Ringu; and Oscar best foreign film winner, Departures (2008), which I didn’t really like (interesting subject, but manipulative).

But the few Japanese images in my memory bank remain deep and wild.  Japanese films are most original, and do not follow continental standards in any genre, even sex.   The saddest film ever made was a Japanese cartoon (Graveyard of the Fireflies).  There’s little dependence on other cultures because theirs alone is a rich and unique source of material.  Here are some images that I could not make costumes of –

Rashomon (1950) by Akira Kurosawa

Ikiru (1952) by Kurosawa

Kagemusha (1980) by Kurosawa

Ran (1985) by Kurosawa

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (1983) by Nagisa Oshima

In the Realm of the Senses (1976) by Nagisa Oshima

Ringu (1998) by Hideo Nakata

Graveyard of the Fireflies (1988) by Isao Takahata

Princess Mononoke (1997) by Hayao Miyazaki

Spirited Away (2001) by Hayao Miyazaki

Howls Moving Castle (2005) by Hayao Miyazaki

Zaotichi (2003) by Takeshi Kitano

Departures (2008) by Yojiro Takita

I wish I could see more films from Japan.  By the way, I came as a cherry tree.  It's got as much visual impact, but heavier.




No comments:

Post a Comment